Marijuana @ High Altitude
Retail marijuana is legal in Colorado. Remember the retail marijuana available is generally of higher potency than normally found in other states. Being consumed at high elevation potentially increases the effects.
We respond to numerous 911 calls related to the usage of marijuana by visitors to our area.
The symptoms of using too much marijuana are similar to the typical effects of using marijuana, but more severe. These symptoms may include:
- Extreme confusion, anxiety, panic or paranoia.
- Fast heart rate.
- Hallucinations or delusions.
- Increased blood pressure.
- Severe nausea and vomiting.
Increasing numbers of people are going to the emergency room after using marijuana, possibly because they used too much. This may happen because they:
- Thought a marijuana product was regular food.
- Used a product with more THC than they thought, either because they’re using marijuana for the first time or trying a high-THC product.
- Consumed homemade edibles without a clear understanding of the THC content.
- Consumed more marijuana edibles than they needed since they didn’t feel the effects right away. The effects of marijuana edibles may take up to four hours to peak after ingesting.
If the symptoms are severe, call 911
If you or someone you know has any of the symptoms above, the poison control hotline at 1-800-222-1222 for free, fast, expert help anytime.
Please use the following links for more information on health effects: